HyperTerminal replacement in Ubuntu - Minicom

Submitted by str on Fri, 06/22/2007 - 23:30

I was kinda surprise that HyperTerminal is not available anymore in Windows Vista. No problem, I rebooted my notebook to Ubuntu and fire-up minicom.

By default, minicom is not installed in Ubuntu, so you need to install it first.
sudo apt-get install minicom
Find the name of your Serial Port
dmesg | grep tty
In the output look for something like "tty". The output in my case is like this:
$ dmesg | grep tty
[ 17.341823] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[ 17.342454] 00:0b: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
This means the device correspond to my serial port is ttyS0.
Configure minicom
sudo minicom -s

Use the keyboard keys to select the menu item Serial port setup.
Enter A to change the Serial Device to /dev/ttyS0, and then enter E to change the line speed to 9600 8N1
Using arrow keys, select Save setup as dflSelect Exit from Minicom.
Next time, from the terminal you only need to run sudo minicom in order to access your Cisco box.

Related Items

Comments

Rich (not verified)

Thu, 07/26/2007 - 19:41

I have to say that this is the closest vt100 emulator I've found...although vt102 it still works very well and is simple to use.

CPScott (not verified)

Fri, 07/27/2007 - 08:28

you make the user a member of the 'dialout' group. Then you don't have to run minicom with sudo after the initial default configuration. The Dialout group owns all of the serial ports in Debian/Ubuntu.

Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 08/24/2007 - 02:02

Apparently we aren't the only folks trying to communicate with an MRI and Microsoft/Intel took away the connectivity.

Keith Tokash (not verified)

Mon, 09/08/2008 - 22:44

I use a USB dongle because my laptop, like most in recent years, doesn't have a serial port. The information above works great, and Ubuntu (Hardy) picked up the dongle immediately (Belkin brand dongle):

[ 5194.788330] usb 3-4: MCT U232 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

So /dev/ttyUSB0 is the device I used. Don't forget for Cisco/Juniper/Foundry to turn off hardware flow control and switch the speed to 8-N-1 (I'm spelling this out for googlers). This actually works much better under Ubuntu than it did in XP with vendor-supplied drivers, where it would bluescreen my box, hardlock it, or simply do nothing.

Owais (not verified)

Thu, 09/04/2014 - 13:17

In reply to by Keith Tokash (not verified)

Thank you so much for the share... Sir today was my first day with my new UBUNTU device and i was having really tough time accessing my Juniper FW. you post helped me through.... Thanks again

Anonymous (not verified)

Sat, 01/24/2009 - 00:29

I needed a simple explanation on how to connect my cisco equipment to my new ubuntu box, which I never used before.
A simple and quick solution.
Thanks!

Travis (not verified)

Fri, 05/15/2009 - 20:38

Good show, works perfectly. Minicom FTW

mjb (not verified)

Thu, 03/04/2010 - 22:03

Excellent concise tutorial. Had my Ubuntu box resetting my new(old) superstack in less than 5 minutes. THANK YOU!

sphbecker (not verified)

Fri, 03/19/2010 - 03:38

Thanks for the tip on minicom that was exactly what I was looking for.
BTW, if you want to use a serial terminal for Vista just download the latest version of PUTTY, it can connect to COM ports.

Deniz (not verified)

Thu, 04/08/2010 - 11:17

Dude, thank you very much. You saved my life. I was using putty to configure Juniper SSG device, but it was not responding to the Backspace key (so you can imagine what difficulties I had, and no typing mistakes were allowed :D ).

Jon (not verified)

Fri, 07/09/2010 - 23:08

Thank you very much man. This was extremely easy to setup and I have been trying to get this stupid serial port to work for a while. I had it all working in under 5 minutes. I am running Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 and using a CP210X USB to UART cable and I configured my tty as ttyUSB1, because dmesg showed that as the connection made for the USBtoUART cable. You are awesome for finding this, works just like like hyperterminal, but better!

tom marschall (not verified)

Mon, 10/18/2010 - 00:40

Thanks, The Perfecto post.
I think its the first time i found a post that left no/zero questions unanswered.

Great

Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 01/05/2011 - 18:23

Thanks for the information.
Got things working without any problem

paul mc (not verified)

Sat, 04/30/2011 - 15:22

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

i intstalled minicom and was able to configure but it won't save as dfl . I get this error message :
Cannot write to /etc/minicom/minirc.dfl |

paul mc (not verified)

Sat, 04/30/2011 - 15:32

In reply to by paul mc (not verified)

silly me, i merely turned on the router and lo and behold it came up ok. Thanks very much for that grep, u rock man

Minicommmmmm (not verified)

Fri, 06/29/2012 - 01:04

In reply to by paul mc (not verified)

use sudo minicom -s when you first open minicom so that it will let you save the changes you made.

Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 01/13/2011 - 10:25

great help... short and simple... solution matches title from google search..

lxgu (not verified)

Thu, 05/26/2011 - 10:55

I definitely advice kermit for serial console in linux

Just create a .kermrc file with below config and in linux console type kermit

PS. You may need to change "set line" and "set speed" based on your serial console device
setting.

file content is as below::::::::::::::::::::

set modem type none ; There is no modem

set line /dev/ttyS0 ; device name

set carrier-watch off ; If DTR and CD are not cross-connected

set speed 115200 ; Or other desired speed

;set flow rts/cts ; If RTS and CTS are cross-connected

;set flow xon/xoff ; If you can't use RTS/CTS

;set parity even ; (or "mark" or "space", if necessary)

;set stop-bits 2 ; (rarely necessary)

SET SESSION-LOG TEXT

;SET SESSION-LOG TIMESTAMPS

log session /tmp/kermit.log new

connect

Just create a .kermrc file with below config and in linux console type kermit

Correction :
Just create a .kermrc file with below config in your home directory then,
in linux console type kermit to run program. If kermit is not installed by default you may
try sudo apt-get install ckermit

Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 09/21/2011 - 16:42

awesome help, very simple to follow steps, however i am unable to connect to my cisco firewall box yet, what could be wrong? help please!!

mishaku (not verified)

Fri, 02/24/2012 - 11:59

It was quick and easy to install and configure and it works well.....